Cochran Named Otis A. Singletary Scholar at UK

(SPRINGFIELD, Ky.) – 2017 Washington County High School graduate Alex Cochran was awarded the Otis A. Singletary Scholarship at his college of choice, the University of Kentucky. The prestigious scholarship is a four year award covering the cost of tuition with an allowance for room and board. It is believed that he is the first student from Washington County to receive this scholarship.  It requires a minimum ACT score of 33 or a 1490 on the SAT and a minimum unweighted GPA of 3.80 on a 4.0 scale, and is competitive. Cochran submitted an essay and also had to an endure a 45 minute interview. Approximately 800 students nationwide applied for the full-ride scholarship, with 150 making it to the interview round. Cochran is among the elite group of 40 students who were chosen for the scholarship. “UK is where I really wanted to go,” says Cochran. “My interview went well, but I really didn’t think I had a chance of being selected,” he says. “I am humbled and honored to receive this and I am excited to represent Washington County.”

WCHS 2017 Graduate Alex Cochran

Alex Cochran

Cochran has always led an active life, involved in numerous extracurricular activities, including being a member of the National Honor Society, the Youth Political Awareness Committee, Central KY Youth Salute, Senior Salute and also being an avid athlete, participating on the football, baseball, and fishing teams, even holding down a part-time job during his high school career. Cochran was a 2016 Governor’s Scholar and served on the Commander Committee Student Voice Team.  In January, Cochran was selected to attend the inauguration and represent Washington County through Congressman Hal Rogers’ campaign.  Cochran also represented Washington County at the 2016 KHSAA HYPE Leadership Conference and the 2016 IFAL Farm Bureau Conference in Murray.

“Throughout his high school tenure, this phenomenal young man has possessed a civic minded leadership style,” says Matthew Garrett, a history teacher at WCHS. “He is on the cutting edge of current happenings whether it be local, national, or internationally based. Alex understands that the decisions of today impact the future. His rigorous pursuit of knowledge through the taking of advanced academic courses is at the forefront of his education. Alex is not afraid of a challenge.”

In addition to being named a Singletary Scholar, Cochran was also named a National Merit Scholar Special Scholarship. He is a recipient of the Larry Graves Memorial Scholarship and received a scholarship through the Washington County Agriculture Extension.  He was also the State Runner Up for the 2016 Kentucky Farm Bureau Outstanding Male Youth where he was one of 22 district finalists who were selected out of 400 that competed in county, district and state contests.

Upon entering college, he plans to major in agricultural economics, with a minor in political science. He plans to obtain an MBA and possibly pursue a career as a lawyer. Cochran lives in Mackville and is the son of Lynn and Robin Cochran.