WCHS Seniors Receive Prestigious Full-Tuition Scholarships

(SPRINGFIELD, Ky.) – Landon Taylor and Jami Taylor, both graduating seniors at Washington County High School, have received prestigious scholarships to their respective choices of post-secondary education. Landon received the Presidential scholarship at the University of Kentucky. The competitive scholarship requires a minimum score of 31 on the ACT or 1420 on the SAT and at least a 3.5 unweighted grade point average. Through this scholarship, Landon will receive full in-state tuition.

While a student at WCHS, Landon has been a member of the Commander baseball team, the Commander golf team, participated in the Kentucky Governor’s Scholars Program, has been a member of the school’s chapter of Future Farmers of America (FFA), the National Honor Society and the Beta club. Chase Burdette, a math teacher at WCHS, says he is proud of Landon. “Landon was a pleasure to have in class – always respectful, hardworking and thankful. I wish him the best! It is always great to see hard work pay off!”

WCHS Senior Landon Taylor

Landon Taylor

Jami received the Academic Merit Award from Western Kentucky University, where she’ll be attending in the fall. To qualify for the award, students must have a minimum of a 3.3 unweighted grade point average, and a minimum score of 25 on the ACT or a 1200 on the SAT. The Academic Merit Award is the second highest scholarship provided by WKU. She will received full tuition through the award.

Jamie has been involved with the WCHS chapter of Family, Career and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA), the Beta club, has been a member of the National Honor Society, participated in the Kentucky Governor’s Scholars Program, received Senior Salute, was a member of the yearbook staff and participated in WCTV, WCHS’s student news channel. “Jami takes pride in her work and strives to accomplish her best,” says WCHS business media teacher Christy Baker. “She is a natural leader who works well with others. You can always count on her to get the job done!”

WCHS Senior Jami Taylor

Jami Taylor

WCHS guidance counselor Tracy Abell said that Landon is “very deserving” of the scholarship he received. “He has worked hard in the classroom and strove for academic excellence. The University of Kentucky will be lucky to have such a strong student.” Abell also said that WCHS was excited that Jami had been awarded a “distinct scholarship” from WKU. “Her determination and persistence have been driving factors in her success. We look forward to seeing what WKU has in store for Jami.”

Landon plans to pursue engineering as a student at UK. He is the son of Kevin and Michelle Taylor.

Jami plans to study biology, with an emphasis in pre-dental studies. She is the daughter of Pat and Melissa Taylor.