Skip to content
Information for Substitutes
- Washington County Substitute Teacher Handbook
- Discipline Help
- The Master Teacher’s Online Resource for Managing Student Behavior will provide you with an online resource for handling student behaviors at school and at home. This resource focuses on over 124 student behaviors and how to respond to them.
- The Substitute Teaching Institute at Utah State University – STEDI
- STEDI.org provides research-based training materials and services designed to improve student achievement when students are taught by a substitute teacher and to assist those who manage substitute teachers. STEDI.org has forged ahead implementing research-based practices to improve recruiting, training, and retention efforts in school districts throughout the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.
- Education World
- Education World is a complete online resource that teachers, administrators, and school staff can visit each day to find high-quality and in-depth original content.
- I Love That Teaching Idea!
- This site includes tips and instructions for your first day with the students, classroom management ideas, lesson plans, field trips, teacher tips, and a special section for substitute teachers.
- For over a decade, TeAchnology has been providing free and easy to use resources for teachers dedicated to improving the education of today’s generation of students.They are an online teacher resource that is designed to help busy Kindergarten through High School teachers.
- Lesson Plans Page
- This site provides lesson plan ideas for every subject area and every instructional level. It also provides valuable links to other resources useful to both the regular and the substitute teacher. If you don’t mind the pop-up advertisements, this site should be in every substitute teacher’s electronic grab bag.
- The ProTeacher page lists numerous articles on topics including child development, classroom management, special needs students, teaching practices, and lesson plans. The site provides excellent resources for teaching specific subject areas from kindergarten to high school. A “chat room” is also available for substitute teachers to share their frustrations and successes.
- Misunderstood Minds
- Provides substitutes with a fascinating and instructive look inside the minds of special needs students, particularly those considered to have “learning disabilities,” including students lacking success in reading, writing, and mathematics. The site is a companion to the PBS special on learning differences and disabilities.
Filler or “Sponge” Activities